Texans defensive line coach Anthony Weaver told Jadeveon Clowney that he believes he has Hall of Fame potential.
“I told him he can be a Hall of Famer,” Weaver said, via Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle. “Now, there’s a number of things that have to happen. You’ve got to stay healthy, you have to be consistent and persistent. But he has all the qualities and athletic attributes in order to do that.”
Clowney is coming off of a breakout season after dealing with injuries the first two years in the NFL.
“It meant a lot to me,” Clowney said. “He sees the work I’ve put in from two years of being injured to the next year to the year after. All the guys around my team tell me to keep improving and keep getting better and come back for another great season this year.”
- Jeff Dickerson believes former first-round CB Kyle Fuller could be on his way out of Chicago this summer.
- Fuller missed the entire 2016 season and the Bears have since bolstered their depth at cornerback with the signing of Prince Amukamara and Marcus Cooper.
- Chicago declined Fuller’s fifth-year option, which is another sign that they don’t view him as a long-term option.
- James Kratch of NJ.com admits that cornerback depth is a concern for the Giants as they prepare for the start of training camp.
- According to Kratch, there’s “almost no chance” of the Giants signing veteran CB Darrelle Revis,as it’s hard to see how they could or even would sign him to a contract.
- Revis is owed $6 million by the Jets, but there offsets with this figure, which means he’ll make that money whether he’s playing for a team or not.
- As for free agent CB Alterraun Verner, Kratch believes he’s a “more realistic option” for the Giants, as he’s played in the slot before and could be a cheap option for New York.
- Even so, Kratch wouldn’t be surprised to see the Giants stand pat and see what they have with their current options at cornerback.
- Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk writes that anything mentioned about the Redskins and franchise QB Kirk Cousins is just “noise” for right now.
- Florio says that the “safer guess” is that a deal won’t get done in the end, given that the Redskins haven’t shown a willingness get an agreement in place over the past two years.
- It wouldn’t be a surprise to see Washington leak their lasted rejected offer by Cousins if they can’t get a deal in place by the July 17 deadline, writes Florio.
Colts QB Andrew Luck says his recovery from offseason shoulder surgery is “going really well.”
“It’s going really well, it’s feeling better and better every week,” Luck told reporters Tuesday, via the Indianapolis Star. “Still haven’t started throwing, but that process will come when it’s ready.”
Luck added that there’s “no reason to be sullen or morose” about the situation.